Following a vegan diet is not impossible for a bodybuilder, as many of the successful vegan bodybuilders out there today have demonstrated. One of the keys to following a vegan bodybuilder diet is the use of healthy, protein-rich and taste-packed recipes. Vegan food absolutely does not have to lack flavor or texture provided you’re using the right recipes.
As part of your vegan bodybuilding meal plan, include these three delicious and protein-packed recipes.
Chili can still pack a spicy punch without carne. For this recipe, you will need:
• 1 diced onion, medium (about 110 g)
• 1 diced bell pepper, medium (about 120 g)
• 2 to 3 minced garlic cloves
• 1 finely-sliced jalapeno or red chili
• 1 cup vegetable broth (250 ml)
• 1 can of drained and rinsed lentils (240 g)
• 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans (240 g)
• 1 tsp each of the following: oregano, chili powder and paprika
• 2 tsp of cumin
• Sweet corn (100 g)
• 1 can of chopped tomatoes
• 1 tbsp tomato paste
Toss your diced bell pepper and onion in a pan with some chili, water and garlic. Sauté on medium-high heat for five minutes. Once there’s a scent, add the spices, tomato paste, tomatoes, corn, lentils, beans and broth. Once you have all your ingredients in, you can just let it simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, with occasional stirring. Add pepper, salt or other spices to your taste.
Shepherd’s Pie with Lentils
Lentils are part of many vegan bodybuilding meal plan types, and that’s because they are protein-rich and versatile. To make your own vegan version of this old staple, you’ll have to gather:
• Lentil bolognese (1 batch)
• Cubed white potatoes (500 g)
• Cubed sweet potatoes (500 g)
• 100 to 200g of soy milk
While your bolognese is simmering, boil your potatoes until they are soft, around 20 to 30 minutes. Strain them and then mash the potatoes with the soy milk. Spoon the bolognese into an oven-safe dish. Add one layer of mashed potatoes and bake on 400F for 15 minutes. To get a crispy top, finish the last two baking minutes under the grill.
The Simple Vegan Shake
If you need something on the go, try this easy vegan shake. Blend one scoop of vanilla protein powder, with 3 cups of drained mandarin oranges and 1 tsp of powdered Stevia.« Back